Earlston Circular via the SUW
About This Route
Please park considerately.
There is parking around the rugby club on the road for trailers, or further down Mill road near the industrial units for lorries.
- From the Rugby club ride up Haughead road (North) about a mile to Clackmae farm, at the suspension bridge if you bear slight right you will see the ford.
- Once at Clackmae turn right then 1st left to Mosshouses.
- You will climb up a short steep hill on a very quiet road with lovely views back to Black hill and Earlsdon. A
- About 1.5 miles and you will reach the Southern Upland Way, turn left signed Melrose 7km.
- Carry on the Southern Upland Way until you reach Gattonside turning left onto the road and then left again into the houses,
- Its a wiggle through the houses but this avoids the busy main road. Follow the road along until it turns right and you take the first left (back on yourself) follow the road round to the right to the bottom of the hill then left and left again back on yourself. Follow this back up the hill onto a rough track signed Earlston. You are now on the goat track.
- Follow this all the way to Sorrowless Farm, take care through the steading, it is a working farm.
- Exit the farm, down the road and turn left and then right back to Earlsdon.
There are two shortcuts along this route the first is in the 1st field you reach, you will see a marker post mounted on a cairn you can turn left and head to the forest gate at this point and it will take you back to Earlsdon. The second option is further along back along the ‘concrete road’ but to reach this you have to negotiate some wetter bits of ground, not recommended unless it’s been very dry!
Calroust, the Castles and The Street
Hownam, Kirk and Town Yetholm
Minchmoor and Plora Wood
Traquair, Walkerburn, Innerleithen
Southern Upland Way (St Mary's Loch to Traquair)
Traquair, St Mary's Loch