Dere Street - Towford to Jedburgh
About This Route
Dere Street – Towford to Jedburgh
This historic section of Dere Street links the edge of the Cheviot Hills with Jedburgh. There is much of archaeological interest especially between Towford and Whitton Edge.
1. Cross the Kale Water by Towford bridge. Here the public road follows the line of Dere Street. In the field adjacent are the Pennymuir Camps. Take some time to explore the Roman Camps. These temporary marching camps are often positioned next to the crossing points of rivers and burns.
2. Continue to the road junction and information board detailing the history of the Camps.
3. Take the path to the right of Pennymuir hall and follow it alongside the wall.
4. Along this section look out for signs
of the old road where it ran between
quarry pits and ditches on either side; particularly the raised camber of the road to avoid standing water. Also look out for earlier archaeological sites, including a standing stone, the Five Stanes (remains of a burial cairn) and, on a neighbouring hill, Cunzierton Fort.
5. At Whitton Edge the line of the road is almost exactly straight, towards the Eildon Hills. Follow the road to Shotheads.
6. At Shotheads the road goes straight on to Cappuck and the Kale water. Cross the footbridge adjacent to the ford. Remains of a small Roman fort were excavated to the south of Cappuck bridge, but no remains can be seen on the ground.
7. Dere Street road continues in a straight line to Jedfoot. Signs of the old road are less obvious on this section as it is wooded
but may still be seen in a few locations. As the old road is still used as an access for farm and forestry vehicles and for horses, it can be
muddy in places. In many places a line of trees grows on either side of the road.
8. To return to Jedburgh turn left at Jedfoot and follow the minor road alongside Jed water back to the bridge on the A68 and take
riverside paths to the centre of town
Traquair, St Mary's Loch
Cardrona Forest, Traquair, Peebles
Gattonside, Melrose, Yair Forest, Galashiels
Cardrona Forest, Traquair