Your Tour Plan
Bowhill is part of the Duke of Buccleuch’s Estate and has been run as a country park for decades. The Duke and Duchess are sometimes in residence so please respect the owner’s privacy. There is a ranger service at Bowhill and a tearoom during the open season.
Cademuir Forest (0)
Tranquil Cademuir is the smallest forest in the Tweed Valley Forest Park. Early morning mists often veil the trees and glen, creating a mysterious, ethereal world.
The woodland’s position on Cademuir Hill gives commanding views over Peebles and Glentress Forest, and it’s an ideal place for wildlife spotting. Keep an eye – and an ear – open for small birds such as Siskins, warblers and Crossbills, or Great Spotted Woodpeckers. If you’re very lucky you’ll catch a glimpse of tawny owls fleeting through the trees at dusk.
Cardrona Forest (3)
Cardrona is a large forest that drapes the hillsides on the south side of the Tweed Valley. The trails are great for tranquil walks, gentle cross-country rides and relaxed horse riding. There are lovely views up the Tweed Valley towards Glentress.
Galashiels lies very much at the heart of the Borders region and is historically the centre of the tweed industry. Sitting on the A7, one of the main routes through the Borders, linking Edinburgh with Carlisle, Galashiels has a direct route to the other major towns in the area and the Borders Railway stops here.
The biggest Borders town is Hawick which is famous for its fine quality knitwear including cashmere. ‘The Horse’ at the end of the High Street is the 1514 memorial which commemorates the victory of local youths over English invaders at nearby Hornshole in 1514, barely a year after the disaster at Flodden.
Innerleithen is home to Traquair House which has been visited by more than 27 Kings and Queens including Mary, Queen of Scots. Traquair House has a wonderful maze in its gardens as well as a working brewery producing the famous Jacobite Ale and Laird’s Liquor.
The Historic Royal Burgh of Jedburgh lies 10 miles north of the border with England. Romans passed by here and established a settlement around 845 AD by the Bishop of Lindisfarne. In 1566 Mary, Queen of Scots stayed in Jedburgh at a house which now tells the story of her tragic life.
The town of Kelso lies at the junction of two rivers – the Tweed and the Teviot. The spacious Kelso Square claims to be the largest town square in Scotland. At its centre is still the Bull Ring, a reminder of the traditional market days, now past, the square is now host to many fine specialist shops and also Floors Castle.
Kirk and Town Yetholm (4)
Kirk Yetholm is situated 8 miles south east of Kelso and less than one mile from the English Border. Nestled in the foothills of the Cheviots, and straddling the River Bowmont, both Kirk Yetholm and Town Yetholm are thriving rural communities.
Walkers and cyclists find Yetholm an excellent base for a holiday. The surrounding hills are etched with traces of countless earlier generations – hillforts, field systems, abandoned farmsteads and standing stones. The treeless hilltops themselves are also the produc
Kirk and Town Yetholm
Kirk and Town Yetholm
Kirk and Town Yetholm
Lauder is crossed by the A68, a route which has witnessed the passage of many an army over the centuries and now the Southern Upland Way, Britain’s first coast to coast footpath pass through the town. Thirlestane Castle with its renowned plasterwork ceilings form the Restoration period can also be visited here.
The triple peaks of the Eildon Hills are the most distinctive single landmark in the Scottish Borders. At their feet in the valley of the River Tweed lies Melrose, birthplace of the game of Rugby Sevens. The area around Melrose has been inhabited for thousands of years and provides a good base for walking breaks.
Moffat is a former burgh in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, lying on the River Annan, with a population of around 2,500. It was a centre of the wool trade and a spa town. Moffat is around 59 mi to the south of Glasgow, 51 mi to the south of Edinburgh, 21 mi to the north of Dumfries and 44 mi to the north of Carlisle.
One of Scotland’s hidden treasures, Peebles nestles in its attractive setting amongst the hills on the banks of the River Tweed is an ideal base for a walking break. On the outskirts of Peebles, you can also find the 7stanes Mountain Biking Centre at Glentress in the Tweed Valley Forest Park.
Scottish Borders (0)
The Ancient and Royal Burgh of Selkirk stands high above the Ettrick and Yarrow Valleys. The famous novelist and author of such classics as Rob Roy and Ivanhoe, Sir Walter Scott was Sheriff here for 33 years. It was at the ‘Kyrk of Field’ in Selkirk that William Wallace was proclaimed Guardian of Scotland. It is also home to the SelkirkBannock a rich fruit bread which should be enjoyed whilst visiting the area.
St Mary's Loch (2)
St Mary's Loch
Traquair is a small village adjacent to Innerleithen. Dating back to 1107, Traquair House was originally a hunting lodge for the kings and queens of Scotland. Later a refuge for Catholic priests in times of terror, the Stuarts of Traquair supported Mary, Queen of Scots and the Jacobite cause without counting the cost. Today, Traquair is a unique piece of living history welcoming visitors from all over the world.
Yair Forest (3)
Ancient woodland Yair, the old Scots word for fish trap, is thought to give this forest its name, as King Malcolm in 1156, granted the monks of Kelso 8 acres of land and the right to build a fish trap here.
A quiet forest of mature trees, with some of the best views in the area across the Tweed Valley. It’s a popular starting point for the climb to the Three Brethren, an impressive hilltop that is home to three stone cairns. A well-loved local landmark, they were built in the 1500s by the lairds of Yair, Selkirk and Philiphaugh to mark the point where their properties met.
Yarrowford is a village on the A708, in the Scottish Borders area of Scotland, 4 miles north-west of Selkirk, in the Ettrick Forest. The Yarrow Water flows through the village and joins the Ettrick Water near Philiphaugh